The following is an extensive, but not exhaustive detailing of my experiences working in media. Please contact me for more information and/or samples.
The Spruce Grove Examiner and Stony Plain Reporter, Spruce Grove, Ab
Reporter and Columnist (Oct 2018 – Present)
- I cover local news with one other reporter and editor in a region of 50,000.
- I shoot photographs and on occasion use social media like Facebook and Twitter to supplement my written reporting.
- I often have my reporting and columns picked up by other company papers in Alberta and at times others across Canada as well. In July 2020 one of my opinions was published in the National Post, which is one of Canada’s largest newspapers and Postmedia’s flagship outlet.
- I won first place in the Alberta Weekly Newspapers Association’s 2019 awards category for Excellence in Healthy Communities Journalism for my work titled ‘Dying to Live’.
The Lakeland Times, Minocqua, Wis
General Assignment Reporter (Aug 2017 – June 2018)
- Covered local government meetings and hard news with the occasional community or feature story as well.
- Took various photographs, videos and other multimedia when needed and on occasion my items were featured in our larger sister paper in nearby Rhinelander, Wis.
- Wrote advertisement copy for businesses placing ads in our various special sections and editions.
Regina Leader-Post, Regina, Sk
Freelance Reporter and Columnist (Jan 2017)
- Covered the inauguration of President Donald Trump via Facebook Live, photography and traditional reporting.
- Wrote a Jan. 19, column for readers introducing myself and urging tough reporting in the next four years.
- Had my reporting and commentary picked up by the Montreal Gazette and Vancouver Sun as well as other major news websites across Canada.
WBKO Television, Bowling Green, Ky
Production Assistant and Master Control Operator (Oct 2015 – Feb 2016)
- Set up studio including studio lights and set dressing.
- Downloaded and caught incoming satellite feeds to server and checked for any errors.
- Operated studio camera, teleprompter and supported other program production areas.
Al Jazeera America (TechKnow), Culver City, Ca
Intern (Summer 2014)
- Contacted individuals at Radiate Athletics and Epson America about their products appearing in segments on the program.
- Researched stories about wearable technology and NextGen Navigation.
- Assisted with the set-up and tear-down of equipment during shoots on location.
Other Related Experience
- Contributing Reporter, Shawano Leader, Wausau Pilot and Review, Wausau, Wis (Jul 2018)
- Freelance Editor, Cougfan.com, Pullman, Wa (Sept 2018 – Nov 2018)
- Freelance Writer, WeGotThisCovered.com, Toronto, Ont (Sept 2018 – Nov 2018)
The American University School of Communication, Washington, D.C.
MA Communication (May 2017)
Major: Journalism and Public Affairs, International Journalism
The Edward R. Murrow College of Communication, Washington State University, Pullman, Wa
BA Communication (May 2015)
Major: Journalism and Media Production, Broadcast Production
- Avid HD/SD Media Composer, Adobe Premiere, Final Draft, WordPress, Adobe Audition, CGI graphics, iNews, Quark CopyDesk
- Sony MX8000A HD video switcher
- Yamaha O2R digital audio mixer
- Sony HD XD-Cam optical cameras
- Sony XD-Cam Optical Disk VTRs
- Nikon DSLR
- Canon Rebel DSLR