The following is an extensive, but not exhaustive detailing of my experiences.
The Spruce Grove Examiner and Stony Plain Reporter, Spruce Grove, Alberta
Reporter and Columnist (October 2018 – December 2020)
- Covered local news with one other reporter and an editor in a region of 50,000.
- Had my reporting and columns occasionally picked up by other Postmedia papers in Alberta and at times others across Canada. In July 2020 Postmedia’s flagship outlet, the National Post, ran my column on what it was like being apart from my now-wife in the pandemic.
- Shot photographs and on occasion used social media like Facebook and Twitter to supplement my written reporting by replying to readers and shooting live video.
- Won first place in the Alberta Weekly Newspapers Association’s 2019 awards category for Excellence in Healthy Communities Journalism for my work titled ‘Dying to Live’. In 2020 I came close to repeating the feat by placing third in the same category with another piece. It was about a toddler whose parents were raising millions for her physical health difficulties.
The Lakeland Times, Minocqua, Wisconsin
General Assignment Reporter (August 2017 – June 2018)
- Covered local government meetings and hard news and the occasional community or feature story as well.
- Took various photographs, videos and other multimedia when needed and on occasion my items were featured in our larger sister paper in nearby Rhinelander.
- Wrote advertisement copy for businesses placing orders in our various special sections and editions.
Regina Leader-Post, Regina, Saskatchewan
Freelance Reporter and Columnist (January 2017)
- Covered the inauguration of President Donald Trump via Facebook Live, photography and traditional reporting.
- Wrote a column for readers the day before the event introducing myself and urging tough reporting in the next four years.
- Had my work and commentary picked up by the Montreal Gazette and Vancouver Sun as well as other major news websites across Canada.
WBKO Television, Bowling Green, Kentucky
Production Assistant and Master Control Operator (October 2015 – February 2016)
- Set up studio including studio lights and set dressing.
- Downloaded and caught incoming satellite feeds to server and checked for any errors.
- Operated studio camera, teleprompter and supported other program production areas.
Al Jazeera America (TechKnow), Culver City, California
Intern (Summer 2014)
- Contacted individuals at Radiate Athletics and Epson America about their products appearing in segments on the program.
- Researched stories about wearable technology and NextGen Navigation.
- Assisted with the set-up and tear-down of equipment during shoots on location.
Other Related Experience
- Contributing Reporter, Shawano Leader, Wausau Pilot and Review, Wausau (July 2018)
- Freelance Editor, Cougfan.com, Pullman, Washington (September 2018 – November 2018)
- Freelance Writer, WeGotThisCovered.com, Toronto, Ontario (September 2018 – November 2018)
The American University School of Communication, Washington, D.C.
MA Communication (May 2017)
Major: Journalism and Public Affairs, International Journalism
The Edward R. Murrow College of Communication, Washington State University, Pullman, Washington
Major: Journalism and Media Production, Broadcast Production
- Avid HD/SD Media Composer, Adobe Premiere, Final Draft, WordPress, Adobe Audition, CGI graphics, iNews, Quark CopyDesk, Saxtoech
- Sony MX8000A HD video switcher
- Yamaha O2R digital audio mixer
- Sony HD XD-Cam optical cameras
- Sony XD-Cam Optical Disk VTRs
- Nikon DSLR
- Canon Rebel DSLR