The following is an extensive, but not exhaustive detailing of my experiences.
The Spruce Grove Examiner and Stony Plain Reporter, Spruce Grove, Alberta
Reporter and Columnist (October 2018 – December 2020)
- Covered local news with one other reporter and an editor in a region of about 50,000.
- Had my reporting and columns picked up by other Postmedia papers across Canada.
- Shot photographs for each front page and on occasion used social media like Facebook and Twitter to supplement my written work by shooting live video and replying to our readers.
- Led coverage of the 2019 federal election contest in the area. This included weekly and strictly neutral reports asking every candidate about their stances on a variety of issues.
- Maintained websites for each outlet on top of my regular writing duties requiring between eight and 15 stories per week when we were short-staffed with just two employees total and no editor.
The Lakeland Times, Minocqua, Wisconsin
General Assignment Reporter (August 2017 – June 2018)
- Covered local government meetings, hard news and an occasional feature story.
- Took various photographs and videos when needed and on occasion my items were featured in our larger sister paper in nearby Rhinelander.
- Wrote advertisement copy for businesses and various special sections and editions.
- Contributing Reporter, Wausau City Pages (2021 – Present)
- Contributing Reporter, Wausau Pilot and Review (2018)
- Freelance Reporter and Columnist, Regina Leader-Post (2017)
- Contributing Writer, Screen Rant (2017)
Awards + Notable Publications
- Covered the inauguration of former President Donald Trump and had my work picked up by newspapers across Canada. Two which shared with their readers were the Ottawa Citizen and Montreal Gazette.
- Won first place in the Alberta Weekly Newspapers Association’s 2019 awards category for Excellence in Healthy Communities Journalism for my work titled ‘Dying to Live.’ Came in third in the same category in 2020 for another story written in a similar vein about a toddler needing an incredibly expensive drug.
- In July 2020 Postmedia’s National Post ran my column on what it was like being apart from my now-wife in the pandemic and the reasonable case for allowing her and others to come into Canada.
The American University School of Communication, Washington, D.C.
MA Communication (May 2017)
Major: Journalism and Public Affairs – International Journalism
The Edward R. Murrow College of Communication, Washington State University, Pullman, Washington
BA Communication (May 2015)
Major: Journalism and Media Production – Broadcast Production
Hardware + Software Knowledge
- Avid HD+SD Media Composer
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Quark CopyDesk
- Canon Rebel DSLR