Work & Education History
When one presents a résumé, it is often a summary of an individuals most recent positions and not a complete detailing of their various places of employment, higher learning and significant experiences. I’ve included all of mine for you below.
The Lakeland Times, Minocqua, Wisconsin
Journalist, August 2017 – Present
- I cover local government meetings and hard news with the occasional community or feature story as well.
- I also take various photographs, videos and other multimedia when needed and on occasion my items are featured in our larger sister paper in nearby Rhinelander, Wisconsin.
Regina Leader-Post, Regina, Saskatchewan
Freelance Reporter and Columnist, January 2017
- Covered the inauguration of President Trump via Facebook Live, photography and traditional reporting.
- Wrote a January 19th column for readers introducing myself and urging tough reporting in the next four years.
- Had my reporting and commentary picked up by the Montreal Gazette, Vancouver Sun and Ottawa Citizen.
WBKO Television, Bowling Green, KY
Production Assistant & Master Control Operator, October 2015 – February 2016
- Set up studio. This consisted of bringing up the studio lights, dressing the sets with needed tables, chairs, accessories, placing mics and changing bulbs and batteries when needed.
- Downloaded & caught incoming satellite feeds and ingested into server, checked feeds for any errors.
- Operated studio camera, teleprompter and supported other program production areas.
- Updated web streaming commercial list as directed by Traffic.
Al Jazeera America (TechKnow), Culver City, CA
Intern, Summer 2014
- Contacted individuals at Radiate Athletics and Epson America about their products appear in segments on the program.
- Researched stories about wearable technology and NextGen Navigation.
- Assisted with setup and tear-down of equipment during shoots in the field.
The Daily Evergreen, Pullman, WA
Op-Ed Columnist, February 2014-November 2014
- Wrote 30 articles discussing my opinion on various topics of national and international interest for a newspaper with a circulation of 11,000.
- Contributed specialized content to themed editions of the paper focusing on Sex, Marijuana and the annual Mom’s Weekend at W.S.U.
Access Communications Co-Operative Limited, Weyburn, Saskatchewan
Production Assistant, 2008-2011
- Managed community programming for a city of 11,000 and the surrounding smaller towns and villages.
Other Related Experience
- Radio Host, KUGR.org – “The Evan Pretzer Show”, Pullman, WA – 2013 – 2015
- Teaching Assistant, The American University, Washington, D.C. August 2016 – May 2017
- Short Film Director, Actuality Media, Nairobi, Kenya – June 2013
- Freelance Blogger, 301 Digital Media, Nashville, TN September 2015 – June 2016
- Freelance Blogger, Beltway News, Washington, D.C., November 2016
- Freelance Blogger, Screenrant, Montreal, June 2017 – August 2017
The American University School of Communication –
MA Communication, August 2017
Major: Journalism & Public Affairs, International Journalism
The Edward R. Murrow College of Communication –
Washington State University, Pullman, WA
BA Communication, May 2015
Major: Journalism & Media Production, Broadcast Production